Space Heater Safety Tips
Tis' the season many are utilizing their space heaters to stay warm during the frigid winter months. Although comfortable and cozy, space heaters can cause a significant increase in home and business fires. Space heaters are the type of equipment most often involved in home heating equipment fires, figuring in just over two of every five fires (43%). Significantly, the fires involving space heaters accounted for 85% of the civilian deaths and 78% of civilian injuries in home fires caused by heating equipment, as well as over half (53%) of direct property damage. Below are a few safety tips you can reference if using a space heater in your home or business.
- Place space heater on flat level surface. Don't put on shelf or high traffic areas.
- Plug a space heater directly into an outlet and avoid using an extension cord.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Only use space heaters that are nationally recognized in a testing lab.
- Don't use a space heater if the plug is broken or the cord is damaged.
- Keep your space heater at least 3 feet away from flammable items, pets, and children.
- Do not use around water.
We hope you stay nice and warm this winter! If you decide to utilize your space heaters, please use caution and reference these safety tips to avoid a fire. If you find yourself dealing with a fire, we are always here to help! 570-714-0090