Home Fire in Avoca, PA
As Summer is quickly approaching, many of us will take dinner outside to the grill. While it's an awesome time of year, it's important to remember safety while using the grill. Taking safety measures can prevent fires to your Avoca home.
Based on 2013-2017 annual averages:
- July (17%) was the peak month for grill fires, followed by June (14%), May (13%) and August (12%).
- The grill had not been cleaned in roughly one-quarter of the fires.
- More than one-quarter of grill structure fires started on an exterior balcony or open porch. Ten percent began when an outside wall caught fire; 5% began with some type of structural member or framing.
- Eighty-five percent of grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas while 10% used charcoal or other solid fuel.
- Gas grills were involved in an average of 8,700 home fires per year, including 3,600 structure fires and 5,100 outdoor fires annually. Leaks or breaks were primarily a problem with gas grills. Eleven percent of gas grill structure fires and 23% of outside gas grill fires were caused by leaks or breaks.
- Charcoal or other solid-fueled grills were involved in 1,100 home fires per year, including 600 structure fires and 500 outside fires annually.
Enjoy the first few months of Spring and Summer. Remember safety when grilling out and know we're always here to help.