Preparing for Storm Season in NEPA
2019 Summer and Storm Season is Here!
Stay Safe all Summer long by practicing safety tips during severe weather.
1. Know your evacuation routes. Be sure to have discussed or have a written evacuation plan. The National Weather Service recommends you have a plan of action mapped out in case you are pressed for time.
2. Create a home safety kit. The Department of Homeland Security recommends you have:
- Enough water for each person to have a gallon a day
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered radio with extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Garbage bags
- Phone chargers
- Duct tape
- Wrench or pliers
- Local map
- Manual can opener
Be sure that your safety kit is in an easy-to-locate area such as a kitchen counter or coffee table.
- Stay alert. Use your emergency radio to stay up-to-date on the storm’s progress and any additional dangers it may bring to your area.
- Head to a safe part of your home. Stay away from windows in case of flying glass.
- Keep your refrigerator cold.Turn your refrigerator to the coldest setting so that your food will last longer if the power goes out.
- Keep your family in the loop. Once you are in a safe place, try reaching out to friends and loved ones to let everyone know you are okay. Nothing is more reassuring than knowing someone is safe.